The Rice Family

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

What to Cook?

Jeff's Big Birthday Dinner party that I'm doing for him is in about a week and a half. I want to do something different so I need some suggestions. I had a patient that gave me a great menu, but I think it is a little out of my league as far as cooking like that. This was her menu:
1) Asian Pork Tenderloins (purchase at Central Market already marinaded)
New Potatoes in the oven with foil
Asparagus seasoned with parmesean cheese boiled then cooked in oven

(I will be having appetizers before the dinner and birthday cake following)

This is what I was thinking BUT it isn't different: lasagna, salad, and garlic toast

Like I said- I want to do it all up, but I'm not all that great of a cook and I'm afraid that I will mess the dinner up if I venture out. Maybe I could do a miny trial run before the party! I need recommendations, please.

8 comments:

I am Heather...creator of all things crafty! said...

First of all you need to have more confidence in your cooking abilities. I have had many fine meals prepared by Chef Amber. Since your cooking for a larger crowd I would suggest something that you can make a big batch of. I really like your spaghetti. That's easy and you could have garlic toast and a nice salad. That's my suggestion. Or lasagna would work. By the way, the suggestion your patient gave would NOT be hard. I could go with you to Central Market if you want to go that route, I can tell you it'll be expensive though....

Amber said...

Yeah- I think you are right about the amount of food to consider. The chicken spaghetti might be a good idea. I could do two casseroles of those. It looks like about 15-18 people coming.

Jenny said...

your patient's suggestion sounds yummy and not too difficult (especially with pre-marinated pork). but i would go with something you already know how to make and feel comfortable with. chicken spagetti or lasgna sound good. the only other thing i could think of was to make a big batch of taco meat then you could have all the fixings for crispy tacos/soft tacos/taco salad. you could also have some chips and dips or even rice and beans. just a thought...
wish we could be there! happy birthday jeff!
Jenny

Amber said...

The Taco idea sounds like a great one, also. We could have like a fiesta theme or something. Great suggestions!!

Brooke said...

I have a good pizza baked spagetti that I do. Lots of yummy cheese and spagetti with pepporoni baked in... super easy, feeds tons and so, so yummy.
I like the fiesta idea too though! Make a big batch of queso and you could even do fajitas to make it a little nicer.

Jenny said...

PF CHANGS!!!

bdp

I am Heather...creator of all things crafty! said...

PF BIG CHANGE BRETT!

I am Heather...creator of all things crafty! said...

Still wondering what to cook??? Update this blog girl..I'm having withdrawals.